Monday, January 8, 2007

4 x 7 = 42 (aka It's hard to argue about math)

I have come to realize that perhaps some of the most difficult arguments can be about math. Sure, I'm sure people can have an intelligent argument out the ying-yang about some math concept or theory. I'm talking about good old, simple mathematics, particularly when it comes to money. And, this also leads me to send out the warning...if someone is adding up some simple math when you are buying something, please do the math in *your* head as well. I understand that in a situation like that, it usually isn't that someone is trying to cheat you out of money, it's just an error, but since they are the ones that made the error, whatever logic they used to get that number makes sense to them. So, then it's hard to try to convince them that they are wrong.

I know this is true because I was also the wrong one the other day. Eric sat down to do the bills with me. After my blog posting about my checkbook woes, he felt inclined to want to do bills with me. I have to admit, it was nice for him to see where our money was going. Anyway, he was doing the math on a calculator, and I was usually writing it down (from doing it in my head) before he had the amount on the calculator. One time, I knew that I did it wrong, but wrote it anyway. When he said the right amount, it just didn't make sense to me. We had to go around a few times before I said, "Oh -- duh! Sorry!"

It was not long ago that I went to a craft fair. While I was there I bought nachos and a drink (since my sisters and I had a booth, so I was there for the long haul). The drink was $.50 and the nachos were $1.75. She said, "$3.05." I'm not even sure where the math logic was on that one. I verified the price of each item, and then said, "$2.25?" Oh! She then realized she was wrong, and I was on my way, though I was wondering how many people she may have overcharged by this point in the day.

I was reminded of this exchange today when I heard a speaker and wanted to buy four of her CDs today (they were $7 each). I also picked up another little extra for $5. The woman who was ringing me up said, "$47." "Wow!" I thought. I really didn't mean to spend that much! Hang on...I didn't *actually* spend that much, did I? So then I politely said, "Are you sure?" She said the CDs came to $42 and then the other was $5, so it was $47. I told her, "Actually, the CDs should be $28. 4 x 7 is 28." She looked at me like I was a poor unfortunate math fool. "No," she told me, "they're $42." Hmmm...I wasn't really sure how to argue the basic times table. I again tried to gently offer up that four times seven is twenty-eight. Again, she told me no. Finally, I said, "7 + 7 is 14..." and I was going to then continue with the fact that 14 + 14 is 28, but as soon as I pointed out what 7 + 7 was, I could see she had finally figured it out. She was embarrased, of course. I told her it was not a big deal.

And, so, I say again, it's hard to argue about math sometimes.

0 comments: