Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tackle It Tuesday: The Vegetable Garden Edition

Tackle It Tuesday Meme


I was thinking that I hadn't done anything for Tackle It Tuesday today, since I had spent all day putting together our garden. And then I thought..."Ummmm...duh, Angie -- I spent hours on a project that we had been meaning to do. That WAS Tackle It Tuesday."
First -- let me say, Eric has been working like CRAZY to get the garden ready for planting today. I had already decided to keep the kids home for planting day (for a variety of reasons), so it had to be ready by today. (I had the day excused as an educational day for the kids -- so it just *had* to be planting time today.) Kudos to Eric for all his hard work prior to today. He had to do tilling, adding the "addition" to the original garden (increasing it to twice its original size), adding top soil & manure/humus, etc.
Okay...so here is the garden first thing this morning:

And here are all the plants that the boys, my Mom, and I all went out to buy last night as our "field trip" for the day. We actually ended up going to three different places, and I still didn't get zucchini! Augh! (everyone was out!)




Working to get the garden ready for some weed fabric:



Weed fabric partially put down as Molly and Mommy each get to work on separate projects. (Yes, I know -- I looked so beautiful this morning. LOL)



The weed fabric is all down! Eric and the boys opt to go on another "field trip" to Menards to buy straw and stakes.



Eric comes home with a yellow slide for our play set as well as the straw and stakes. This was a big surprise to me, but it was apparently on sale, and Molly was THRILLED! We have been without a slide since Eric cut the playset down before last summer. The kids have missed having a slide, so it's nice to have one again. (Eric had to take a break from gardening to install the slide, of course.)



Noah helps to plant one of the 13 strawberry plants.



A bad "after" picture since it was night and raining! But, I realized I didn't have an after picture. My Mom has already called to ask if the crops are ready to harvest. Ha!

4 comments:

Becca L. said...

Ok, I am seriously in awe! What a project (and you were gardening, so don't worry about what you look like!) I think you could probably start some zucchini seeds in starter cups and then transplant them. Those plants grow like weeds! When will the strawberries be ready?

Mimi said...

Great photos! And, I love the apron!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Becca -- I have never started plants from seeds before. We have only ever bought starter plants. If I can't find any eventually though, maybe I'll break down and do that.

Mimi -- Thanks! :) I put a link to where we got the apron from on Friday's posting. I got two of them, and I just love them. I already think I need a third one just for gardening. ;) LOL

Aimee said...

Great job! Can I hire you guys to come and do my garden? :)