Friday, May 23, 2008

I made the bed today! I ROCK! (aka Remember to Praise Yourself)

First, I feel the need to preface this by saying, I think I am generally pretty modest about the things I do. When people say things like, "I can't believe you find time to do all those things," I will answer with something like, "Oh -- it's nothing" or "I guess I like to stay busy." Or, if someone compliments me on something that I made, I thank them, but it's hard for me to take a compliment.

That being said...I will admit something. I praise myself often. And, darn it -- you should too. We need it. I think most of us spend so much time poorly taking compliments that we don't really take them to heart.

And so, like yesterday when I finished getting the roast, potatoes, and carrots all into the crockpot in record time, I said outloud, "I rock!" I will admit -- that's my favorite. But, I also say things like, "I'm awesome!" or "Rock star!" or anything else that pops into my head.

I praise myself for the small things in life, I notice. For things like the roast or making the bed. I don't do it for every little thing, and not for the same thing each time I do it. I don't even think about it when I do it. I just do it. And it makes me smile.

So, maybe the next time that you dust the living room or unload the dishwasher -- remind yourself how awesome you are!

7 comments:

scrapper al said...

Excellent reminder Angie! Thanks!

Soul Pockets said...

I love this post. As a busy mom sometimes I don't feel the compliments come a freely as I would like them to. Even if they are hard for me to take sometimes. :) I agree we all need to tell ourselves "We Rock" once in a while. Thanks for the post.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I totally do this! Only I usually wait until my husband comes home and then say something like "you married the most incredible woman EVER - let me tell you why!" :) He thinks it is funny and I enjoy patting myself on the back. I think I started doing it because usually the little things that I spend all day doing aren't very visible at the end, and I want to make them visible! :)

Anonymous said...

great reminder thanks! I found your blog from Rocks In My Dryer and love your site!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Awww...thanks so much! :)

reprehriestless warillever said...

Angie, you rock!

Really. This is a good reminder fo all of us. It isn't so much about pride as it is about motivation. Many of the things we moms do are invisible, or rather, they are only visible when we *don't* do them. And noticing them, (and taking pride in them) makes me more likely to do it again tomorrow.

It is also a good idea to give this kind of compliment to the people you live with. Not every time, but once a week or so I will walk by the back door and praise the children for remembering to put their shoes on the shelf. Or mention to my husband how great it is when he teaches the children songs...

Kellie said...

Today I finished a project and even though it didn't turn out quite as I planned, I found myself thinking of this post and said to myself "I rock anyway!"

A co-worker said to me once and I love passing it on...so for you, Angie... "You rock all things foreign and domestic!" ;)