Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cleaning My Itty Bitty Craft Room...Once Again

Do you have a room or area of your house that always seems to get messy?  I would like to say that my craft room is that area in our house, but I would be overlooking my desk and the counter.  (I will admit, however, that I did notice that two of the most problem areas are my areas in the house.)

Since I am having a group of women over this weekend for a mixed media painting class, I figured that I better get my craft room in order.  Since it's a mere 35 square feet, we won't use it for the class, of course.  But, I suspect everyone will see it at some point, so I have to be prepared.

Brace yourself -- this is what the room looked like right before I started to clean:






Unsettling, isn't it?

It's true -- I couldn't even walk into the room.  Every surface had something on it, and it kind of freaked me out every time I walked past it.  This was definitely not something that I wanted to show off to my friends.

After a couple hours of clean up, one bag of stuff to give away, and one bag of stuff to throw away, here is what I ended up with:



 

It's not as beautiful as the craft studios that I see in books and around the Internet, but I have to admit that I am pretty pleased with how it looks right now.  If it can just stay looking like this until the end of this week, then I'll be set!

What are the most problem areas in your house?


 





This post is linked to Tackle it Tuesday.


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you've really made a big difference to that room! Well done.

My dungeon is the study. So much so, the computer's in the living room at the moment ...

Pam said...

I love your little craft space. I recently gave up my large craft room to one of my sons, as he wanted his own bedroom now that he is getting older (sharing with his brother just wasn't cutting it any more), so all my crafts are now in bins. But seeing this is inspiring, I am going to look around to see what small space I can take over for my own craft space. Thanks for sharing.

B said...

That is a great job!!!!!!!

I always pop in on Tackle it Tuesday's but I am becoming a follower.

Stephanie B. said...

well done, angie! i get excited about this kind of stuff (organization). :) when you talked about it regarding home schooling (email meeting minutes) i studied it deeply! :) i think about it more than i apply it.
always working,
stephanie
----------

Stephanie said...

Wow, will you come organize my craft room please? :-D

Great tackle! I played too, mine can be found here.

Braley Mama said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of work! It looks beautiful! Why do those rooms always fall apart so easily?

nicole said...

We have a bar over our kitchen sink/counters and it is the dumping ground of the house. I am constantly fighting the clutter.

Anonymous said...

What a great craft space! How nice to have a place to have all of your craft things organized. Looks like you've done a good job of creating a useable space.
pk @ Room Remix

Anonymous said...

I have a room like that. I was working on it till everyone got sick. I'll have finish this week. My is more a sewing room though. I do have my food storage in there too.

It is nice to have a room specially for things like that.

Jenny said...

Good job tackling that space! I worked in Abby's closet on Sunday and put some of her toys in there. It's nice that they aren't taking up the whole living room! Last night, I did the office closet. It holds my homeschool stuff, stuff I used to sell on ebay, important papers, etc, etc. I actually was able to get it finished by 10 p.m.! LOL!

Tanya said...

My kitchen table and counters are my dumping ground. It is terrible. I traded out a farmhouse table for a big round table and now it is worse. I got the table so we could be closer as a family when we eat and now we can't even eat together! Something that I have to work on big time. Thanks for the motivation and the pics of your room.

annies home said...

what a great tackle and with all the holidays coming up one that is very much needed

Deb said...

Good job! It's always so satisfying to get at least some area of the house straightened out.

I would say that the room that frustrates me on a daily basis is the kitchen. My kids are still little and messy and demanding to be fed every 15 minutes, so I fight the filth in there constantly.

Something that is my own area, my office/yarn room/school storage is what is usually out of control. I just can't figure out how to make it more functional. *sigh*

Brenda @ Tie That Binds Us said...

looks great! lock the door. lol.

Anonymous said...

I am so envying your craft space right now! I have a walk-in closet about that size and if my husband wasn't so picky about clothes being hung up properly, I would totally convert it! Looks great.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Brenda -- There is no door! LOL We took it off to give me more room and for it to feel bigger. The kids stay out of it though -- it's my husband who always seems to set stuff in there. Well -- and me too. ;)

Shell in your Pocket said...

I clean my craft room all the time and sometimes it's just not worth it!
sandy toe

Ritsumei said...

That's a beautiful room in the afters! Before, well, it looks very familiar. Only mine isn't it's own little room, it's a corner of a public space. I have GOT to do SOMETHING. So far, all the ideas I have come up with include spending $$$, so I haven't. Well done on yours & good luck keeping it that way!

Chelsea said...

I have a "craft room" that isn't itty bitty. It is a giant mess. I don't even go in there. I needs a massive overhaul.

Corrie said...

beautiful!!!!!!! I'm about to blog my new craft room ,it is currently looking so tidy I want to blog it and keep as a momento because a few hours of sewing on a saturday afternoon and the twins playing at my feet will turn it into a disaster zone again!

wow! it feels good doesn't it!

corrie;)