Sunday, May 18, 2008

Beef Broth for Breakfast (and Other Hospital Adventures)

I would like to be able to write something profound about my weekend, but instead, I will just tell it like it is. Overall, my weekend was pretty junky.

My previous blog post, thanks to Blogger's new feature of being able to schedule posts, was probably posted right around the time that I was curled up like a roly poly bug and moaning on the floor of the hospital ER.

I had actually been feeling sore and sometimes in pain for about a week off and on. Mostly, thankfully, more off than on. But, it really flared up on Thursday morning, and I visited an urgent care center. I was told that it sounded like I probably has some food poisoning (or other type of contamination), and then as an after-thought (because of one of my lab results) said maybe it could possibly be kidney stones.

Apparently not so "maybe possibly."

Yes, on Friday, I found out in the ER (after a CAT scan) that I do, indeed have kidney stones. Two of them, actually.

I was about to be sent home with pain killers and anti-nausea medicine, but because they gave me such a strong pain killer in my IV before they were going to wheel me out, I ended up getting sick all the way out to the car. So, they brought me back in an admitted me to the hospital. Yuck! I have to admit, I never would have agreed to go back in and "lay down a little bit" if I had known that actually meant that they were going to admit me to the hospital for a "24 hour" observation. (I just can't bring myself to not put that in quotations, since I know that was really not how it happened.)

So, to make this a little more brief, I finally saw my doctor (well, the doctor on call for my doctor) on Saturday after 9 pm! I didn't leave the hospital until 10 pm. I was so irritated. I tried to be calm, but I did break down around 2:30 pm and was sobbing and begging the nurses to make sure he hadn't forgotten about me.

I'm glad to be home, but I'm still pretty beat. Going to Mass and dinner tonight completely wore me out. (But, on such a wonderful note, my parents actually came to the Mass with us. That was so nice, and we all enjoyed it.)

I will be having a referral to see a urologist, so hopefully they can get me in soon and they can figure out what we should do about these stones, so that I don't end up in the ER again. Although, now that I have pain killers and anti-nausea meds here at home, I think it has to be pretty serious before I'm willing to stop in at the ER again, for fear of being stuck in the hospital with a roommate who cried, moaned, and talked in her sleep all night long. (Oh wait -- I already did that roommate part, though she was a very kind woman.)

Besides, I don't even want to see when my $500.00 copay comes rolling in for the hospital stay, so I'm not apt to want to repeat that anytime soon either!

9 comments:

Trudy said...

Sounds terrible. Prayers for quick relief. My sister just had her kidney stones 'blasted' by laser.

reprehriestless warillever said...

I'm glad that you are okay.

I hope that your doctors can get this resolved quickly without another unscheduled hospital stay.

Aimee said...

Yikes! Praying that you feel better soon.

My gall bladder did the same thing to me a few years back, but I just go the whole thing removed ;) Not so much with your kidney, though . . .

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Aimee --

I almost spit out the Gatorade in my mouth (had low potassium at the hospital -- go figure) when I read your "not so much with your kidneys though." LOL

Stina said...

Prayers and hugs!!!

Jessica Gordon said...

A close friend of mine just went through that recently, and I know how much pain she was in. I'll be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Angie...yuck for you! I'm so sorry to hear you've had to go through all this and that it's not over yet. ERs can be terrible places, to be sure---the waiting can truly be a kind of purgatory. I hope you get everything fixed up soon so that you can feel better. I'll be praying for you!

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery! Seriously though, google some natural cures for kidney stones. You may be able to raise some herbs in your raised garden that will get rid of your stones without another visit to the ER. (In my years of homeschooling, I always checked myself in for labor at the very last minute as I had to find child care first!) Rest and take care of yourself first so you can take care of those little ones, Mommy!

Sarah said...

been there...the pain was so bad that my hubby missed work for a week b/c i was hopped up on the pain meds and anti-nauseau meds. i had to wean my baby cold turkey b/c of it all. i tried a lot of things...some worked...in case you're willing to try. equal parts fresh squeezed lemon juice and olive oil - i think it was like 2 T each. you have to chug it and drink water fast. then hold on. it's a little hard to keep down. but...the acid from the lemon juice will help wear on and smooth the rough edges of the stone. the olive oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. 4 regular strength ibuprofen worked just as as well if not better than the prescription - and it didn't knock me out which meant i was awake enough to drink water. and i loved loved loved my chiropractor. i saw them 3 times over the course of a week...each time things changed - first the worst pain subsided, then the nauseau improved, then lo and behold it passed. the other thing, a little weird sounding, my hubby's grandfather said gin and squirt. the night before it passed my hubby prepared me one, i enjoyed it not realizing he put nearly 4 shots of gin in it. i was out like a light. (same idea as the lemon juice and olive oil but tastes a whole lot better) good luck...prayers..."this too shall pass"!