Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Using Only Craft Supplies That You Already Own

As a scrapbooker (or any kind of crafter), it's easy to feel like you always need to buy more supplies.  This becomes especially true when you are working on a specific project.  I, however, have been working on buying less supplies (a whole lot less!) and using what I already have in my craft room.

This whole idea was tested this Christmas when I realized that after having made eight Christmas albums to give out to family, I realized that I had accidentally given an album to someone I hadn't meant to.  This, of course, meant that I didn't have an album for the person that I was going to give that one to.  So, in just a couple of hours and with supplies that I had on hand (save for a couple of embellishments from my Mom, as well as the chipboard album I bought from her as well, which she had on hand), I was able to create a baby girl album for Eric's sister and her husband, as they are expecting a baby girl in February.

It was an amazing feeling to know that I used things that I had on hand, and didn't have to feel the need to go buy, buy, buy.

The baby girl album:


 

Not only was I thrilled to use up supplies (some that I had been holding on to from quite some time), but I was also happy knowing that my sister-in-law would have an easy way in those busy first few months to have a handmade album without having to do all the work herself.



This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday and Frugal Friday.

10 comments:

Samantha said...

That album is absolutely beyond adorable! Was the chipboard album already bound and was the binding removable? I am trying to figure out how you adhered those fabulous background papers around those hooky things that hold the album together. If those are the gifts you give out at Christmas, I want to be in YOUR family!

Samantha

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Samantha --

The chipboard album is by 7 Gypsies. The "binding" is actually round book rings, so they just come right apart. That's how the Christmas albums I made were too.

For putting the papers on the chip board, I just used an adhesive -- zip dry. Although, you could use any nice sticky adhesive.

Thanks for the nice compliments! :)

Tammy said...

What a wonderful gift! You did a great job!

Panamamama said...

What a fantastic gift! Great idea! I might try and do some myself so I can just slip pics in when I finally print them off! :)

Mimi said...

Good for you! Absolutely adorable.
And, I could write the book on not needing more supplies...

sunnymum said...

Great inspiration! Sometimes the best pages come from trying to make what we have work in a new way. Thanks for sharing.

nicole said...

Cute, cute, cute! Almost makes me wish I was a scrapbooker, or at least crafty.

Marsha said...

Very pretty! I know what you mean about needing to use up scrapbooking supplies. My hubby calls me a collector, not a crafter. Guess I needed the inspiration from you. Thanks!

Michelle said...

Very cute! I love the idea of using supplies you have on hand to bless others. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

Saw your link over at Life As Mom. Beautiful site you have here. This is a great idea. I wish I was a scrapbooker.