Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Double Fudge Coca Cola Cake Recipe

 

I have actually only made this cake once, but I've had it many times, since it is my Mom's favorite cake.  Oh man -- it is good.  Crazy good.

I made this last week for the first time when we were having dinner over at our friends Amanda and Keith's house with a priest friend of ours.  So, knowing that I was making dessert for 14 people (there were nine kids), I wanted something that could go a long way.  (Incidentally, I made Rice Krispie Treats too, just because I can't help myself.)

I like that this recipe gets better as time goes on.  So, since we were having dinner on Friday night, I actually made the cake on Thursday.  (When we worked on the last of the leftover cake on Sunday night, it was even better!)  My Mom has also had great success with cutting this into pieces and freezing individual pieces.

Ingredients for Cake:

- 1 cup Coca Cola
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 stick butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar (white)
- 2 cups flour (I used half unbleached white & half whole wheat, though you can use whatever your preference is at your house)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk 
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (careful - this is not added in with the other dry ingredients)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions for Cake:

1. In a sauce pan, bring oil, butter and cocoa powder to a boil.

2. Move to a mixing bowl after items in step one have come to a boil.

3. Mix the sugar, flour, and salt.  Pour them into the mixture that you just put in the bowl.  Beat well.

4. Add in Coca Cola.  Blend well.

5. Add eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla.  Beat well.

6. Pour into a greased and floured sheet cake pan.  (I used a 16-inch cookie sheet that had one inch sides.  A jelly roll pan is also a great option.)

7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 -  25 minutes.  (My Mom specifically says 22 minutes though, and that did work for me.)

Ingredients for Frosting (start making this when the cake has about four or  five minutes left to bake -- you'll be frosting this cake while it's still hot!):

- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons cream or milk (honestly -- I used skim milk.  I used it to make the buttermilk too.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional - I don't use them)
- 3 3/4 cups (3.75 cups) confectioners (powdered) sugar

Directions for Frosting:

1. In a saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, and milk.  Heat until butter melts.
 
2. Beat in the remaining ingredients, and spread on the hot cake.

3. Cool cake before cutting.

The yield on this recipe all depends on how big of pieces you are cutting.  I would imagine you could make large pieces and cut 30 pieces.  I cut it so that I got around 40 pieces of cake from the pan.

Enjoy!

 

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

12 comments:

Sam said...

Looks yummy! I will have to try it! It is calorie and fat free, right??!!

KatiePerk said...

I absolutely adore this cake. I have never made it but eaten it plenty!! So glad you linked!! Thanks!!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

My grandmother and great aunt used to make this cake. It is the best!!! Thanks for linking your post to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Carolina Girl said...

That looks super delicious!

Nanna said...

if it's anything like Cracker Barrel's cocola cake then it's sinfully good! LOL

Helen

Lucy said...

We have to try this! I know my daughters and I will love it, but my husband and sons aren't quite the chocoholics we are. We also posted a "Love Cake" recipe for St. Valentine's Day at www.mysticalrosedeisgn.com :)

Rosemary said...

This cake sounds like a winner. I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Cheryl Pitt said...

Oh my goodness that looks good. So moist it looks like fudge. YUM!

~Isabel said...

WOW...this cake looks AMAZING!!

I found you through Liz's blog...and now, of course, i'm a stalker, ummm, i mean, follower. :)

Dawn said...

This sounds VERY interesting.

Anonymous said...

Do you taste the coca cola? I can't quite wrap my brain around putting that soda in a cake. But, hey, my husband likes coca cola, so maybe I'll try it.
Thanks,
~Nicole

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Nicole -- No, you don't taste the Coca Cola at all.