Friday, November 30, 2007

What Noah is thankful for...

Noah brought home an art project from his 2nd grade class. It is a wreath of paper fall leaves, and in the middle (on a paper plate), it says "I am thankful" and then many of the leaves list things that Noah is thankful for.

His wreath lists:

*for my school

*for my house

*for my church

*for my family

*for my pets

*for my games

*for food

I have to admit that when I saw "for my church" on the list, I almost cried.

It, of course, was something that weighed on our minds when we decided to convert to Catholicism -- what would the kids think? How would they handle us leaving the only church they had never known? (Although it was also the only denomination I'd ever been part of, I had at least experienced changing churches because of moving.) But, no, we knew there would be times we would drive by our "old" church on the way to things around town. What would the kids say? How would we explain why we converted?

It did come up, by the way, and I was at a loss for words when trying to explain it to the kids. I just told them, "Mommy and Daddy thought and prayed about it a lot, and we thought that God told us that He wanted us to become Catholic. And, so then we were very excited to start working to become Catholic, and to go to a new church."

And, so at each time when I see the children embracing their new church and new faith, I am often left a little misty eyed, and with a full heart of praise for God, because He really does work in mysterious and wonderful ways.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

0 comments: