My tip today is pretty short and sweet, but it is something that works for me, so I thought I would pass it along.
Fabric softener dryer sheets, I think, are pretty big. So, before I use one, I just rip it in half (inside the dryer, in case anything "falls" out, per se) and throw in only half a sheet. Then, when I do my next load of laundry, I use the leftover half.
I know that there are those spikey dryer balls that could probably be better, since I wouldn't be using them at all. But, after hearing pretty mixed reviews, I decided to stick with ripping them in half. (I will note that I have heard of people cutting a whole package worth at the same time, but that it is difficult. I figure it's easy enough for me to just do one at a time.)
I know this seems like it isn't a big deal, but when I realized that this means that my box that is meant for 120 loads of laundry actually lasts for 240 loads, that sure seemed like a big difference to me!

This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday (themed edition: Frugal Tips) and Frugal Fridays.
This is reposted from 2008.
photo by *ThroughMyEyes*





















5 comments:
Great tip...I agree that ripping them in half at the time of use is the way to go! I can hardly find time to brush my hair these days let alone precut my dyer sheets...lol.
I use a whole sheet, but then I reuse it... and often reuse it again... and sometimes even use it just one more time. I've found the reused sheets work just as well as they did the very first time as long as they still have a bit of "stiffness" to them. When they start to feel "softened" themselves, it's time to toss them... or maybe use two together for one last hooray. Just think. Your 240 loads, might just turn into 360. I can't remember the last time I bought dryer sheets. Oh, and I use the Kirkland brand - nothing fancy :)
I also tear my dryer sheets in half. It works just as well and saves a lot of money!
I rip my dryer sheets in thirds, since they are folded in thirds. Easy enough to tear along the fold. (I use the store brand)
I also take them out of the cardboard box and put them in an old baby-wipe container. Perfect size.
I do this too! When I get home from grocery shopping I open my box of fabric softener, cut all of them in half, and put back in the box. It only takes a couple of minutes and I find that using half a dryer sheet is just as effective as using the entire dryer sheet per load.
Post a Comment