
One of the things that we have really worked on this homeschooling year has been to teach the kids that reading can really be an enjoyable activity (heck -- reading is even a Finer Thing!).
It has been so encouraging to see the transformation of them never wanting to read while they were in traditional school, to at least every so often choose to read just because they wanted to. One way that we have encouraged this is to allow them during their silent reading time to share a book. They love this, and I'll sometimes find them whispering to each other about what they are seeing or reading in the book.
Hopefully it's an extra good sign that reading is fun, because Molly set up all of her stuffed friends with books to share with each other. This picture just makes me smile.
How do you encourage your children to read?

This post is linked to Finer Things Friday.





















6 comments:
My little ones love being read to anytime that I will sit down and do it. My oldest read an entire book aloud tonight for the very first time! Quite an exciting moment! Although, I have used me reading him an "extra" book if he reads a section from his reader to help encourage him to read himself (he prefers me to read to him).
Hee...hee! My kindergartner does the same thing! As soon as she gets home from school she runs to her room and sets up all her "friends" in a line and reads to them like school. It's a sign that they're really enjoying learning!
That picture is a hoot! My oldest is just starting to read to her younger siblings. So much fun!
Cute picture! My daughter loves books and loves to "read". We try to get to the library at least once a week. We also read books before bed every night.
Hi Angie,
I also like the picture and the article. My daughter likes looking at the picture since she does not know to read, but she likes, when I read her. Yesterday I bought her a book with secrets to be revealed, so she is very excited and she "reads" the book several times a day.
I did not write for a while, because I passed some troublesome moments and I have to work out the things. Of course, I noticed your new look, and I like it :). Bye
As part of our library's summer reading program kids who can read independently can sign up to read to a dog. The dogs are trained therapy dogs and give the kids a non judgmental, always friendly audience. My kindergarten son isn't always thrilled to read to me but begged to get to read to a dog. He's picked out a few dog books to read to the dog since he thinks that the dog would like those best. :o) We'll see how it goes when he has his first session in a few weeks. For those with a family pet this could easily be replicated at home.
Post a Comment