I went to a small get together this evening with a church group that I belong to that was having a farewell for one of our priests who is being transferred. I had a problem though -- I needed to bring along food, but wouldn't have much time to put it together (at all!).
Thanks to cucumber sandwiches, I had a beautiful platter of food to take along with me with just about 15 minutes (or less) worth of effort. As a matter of fact, when everyone saw that I brought cucumber sandwiches, they all acted like I had brought something quite fancy along. (I didn't admit to slapping them together as I was almost literally running out the door.)
For a quick, but lovely, addition to summer get together, this was my simple "recipe" for cucumber sandwiches:
Ingredients
One loaf of Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White Bread
One (or one and a half) tubs of Philadelphia Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese
One large cucumber
Directions
1. Peel and slice cucumber.
2. Apply a layer of cream cheese to all slices of bread. (Having cream cheese on each slice of bread helps to avoid the bread getting soggy from the cucumber.)
3. Put cucumbers on one slice of bread (for each sandwich). I usually do four slices per sandwich. You'll then put on piece of bread on top that has only cream cheese on it. (So, each sandwich has four cucumber slices, for example.)
4. Slice the sandwiches in triangles, because that's a rule with cucumber sandwiches, right?
5. Display on a pretty plate, and be prepared to have your friends ask if they need to hold up a pinkie finger while they eat your sandwiches.
What are some of your quick and easy things to put together if you have to dash out the door at the last minute?

This post is linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Talk about Tuesday, and Works for Me Wednesday (themed edition: Best Summer Recipes)
photo by Alex Mahan





















16 comments:
My daughter is hosting a tea party next month and I will definitely add these sandwiches to the menu.
I love the thin bread with cucumbers and cream cheese.
I love cucumber sandwiches. Have some cucumbers growing in the garden. Easy and sophisticated at the same time. Can't beat that!
Christi
What a great summer lunch! Sounds simple and refreshing.
Thanks for sharing a quick recipe with us: this looks awesome! I definitely want to try it the next time we bring appetizers to church.
What a great idea! I think it is the thin bread that helps make the sandwiches special. I never thought of buying the bread for that.
Too bad everyone I know dislikes cukes. I loved when my grandma would marinate them...mmmmm
My quick and easy dishes are from Chef Schwan! :) I buy the choc. muffins and blueberry ones for breakfast and brunches. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on the choc. ones and sugar crumb mix on the blueberry. They think I spent hours preparing them. Of course, I flick some flour on my face (ala those old Rice Krispy commercials) when I bake them for the kids. ;)
For lunch/dinner dishes...again I buy the Pasta/Veggie mix from Schwans. Boil, cool, add italian dressing, herbs, & sliced black olives. Let sit for a few hours.
I'm going to have to pick up some of that garden cream cheese.
those look so good. I've never had those before but think I'll try them. thanks for sharing.came from talk about tuesday
http://todaysjourney.momaroo.com/705451460/closet-and-then-some-decluttering/
enter to win the rachael ray big orange cookbook giveaway
http://woman-with-a-purpose.blogspot.com/2009/06/enter-to-win.html
Yummy cucumber sandwiches! They are fast and delicious :)
Can't wait to try these!Thanks for the recipe!
Yum. Cucumber sandwiches are so simple and yet so tasty. I made some mint "tea sandwiches" a few weeks back and they were likewise absolutely scrumptious. Used butter and a bit of powdered sugar and minced mint leaves.
yummy! I think I'll surprise my little gorl for our next tea party.
I love making these sandwiches. thanks for reminding me to make some soon!
Now I wanna invite some friends over for tea and finger sandwiches!
:)
YUMMY - Great reminder! I'll have to make these again.
I've always looked for an easy cucumber sandwich recipe. I know that sounds dumb, but there are a thousand ways to make them. (butter, cream cheese, both, none, with dill, without...)
I'll give this a try!
Post a Comment