Okay, first, let me admit -- I will probably wish for an addition on my house again in the future. But, I had an eye-opening moment the last night and it made me realize that it certainly isn't something we need.
I watched hurricane coverage, and they showed a family in Mexico that lived in what looked like to me as a small barn-type structure. They were very thankful to not have too much damage to their one room, thatched roof home that houses thirteen people. And, then I thought, "There are people that would think those people are so lucky to have that 'house.'" And, here we complain from time to time about our home which is just under 1600 sq ft for the five of us. How silly.
Yes, it would be nice to have a multi-purpose type of room added on to the house that is separate from the main (open concept) living area. But, darn it -- if we never get a chance to do it, we'll be just fine. Sometimes it so hard in our culture to be happy with less...happy with what we already have. And, so, I think I will need to pray to slow down on always wishing for more.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Huh...well...that was eye opening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















6 comments:
Amen to that!
Very true, Angie.
Isn't that the truth! I have had the same thoughts about our living space. I even think alot about the expectation of "owning" our home. Our perspectives can become so warped.
Good post!
God has an amazing way of keeping our hearts in check. I admit it, I complain about needing more space than my 1,400 sq. ft. house.
near my house are some neighborhoods with the tiniest, rundown houses - in the last few years they have been bought/rented by Mexican families. After visiting my sister (who lives smack in the middle of rural Mexico), and seeing the conditions that some people live in and how little they live on -- it left me with a whole different perspective on those "crummy" little houses. For some people, those little houses are the American dream. I certainly have enough, my kids have enough. You gotta be thankful for what you have!
I did do the dormer before the fourth child came along. Let me tell you, there is never enough room! The kids filled up that extra space so fast I couldn't believe it! As I see my neighbors add this and that to their houses I also think of those in the world that do not even have a roof over their head. I read somewhere that to be grateful is to be happy.
Post a Comment