Okay, I'll admit, I'm here with yet another untested Christmas Works for Me Wednesday tip. (The first of those was the tip about a great way to help siblings shop for each other. But, darn it, I just wanted others to be able to test it out this year as well.)
So, here's my partially untested theory. I am placing all bets on this equation for our Christmas this year:
Fewer Gifts + More Thought = Nicer Christmas
I have always been one to just shop like mad up until Christmas for my kids. I have picked them up dancing robots, toy chocolate fountains, not so wonderful dollhouses, and a bevy of other toys and items along these lines. Of course, there have been toys we have bought for them that they have loved over the long term, but it seems so many gifts are played with for a few days or maybe even until the kids go back to school. And, then the toys find themselves in the closet, never to see the light of day again.
After a homily by one of our priests this year (that included a brief discussion on number of Christmas gifts), it would seem that I am running into several people from church that are going the three gifts per child route this year (and to continue to do in the future).
We actually opted to tell the kids that we would be getting them just three gifts this year, and that Santa would continue to get them one gift each. So, we set our number at four gifts total (plus some goodies in a stocking).
I came to notice something very interesting as I got ready to do my shopping for the kids this year -- I didn't go out and just buy every new item or a bunch of sale items. I sat down and planned out their gifts. I poured over reviews online. I causally asked the kids about their thoughts about various items. I thought about their gifts some more. I looked through our budget and figured out generally what to spend. I thought deeply about their gifts yet agin. I finally bought bigger things that I turned my nose up at in previous years because I had been too busy buying lots of small things. (Mind you, that, for instance, with Molly who will be getting the American Girls Bitty Baby Twins, this extra big gift is being broken up, and each Twin counts as a gift, not as one gift total.)
When I finally figured out what to buy my kids, I was proud. I looked at my list, and I finally felt that this year, I was really thinking of each child and evaluating what was best for them.
And, so I realized -- perhaps buying fewer gifts is not just a blessing because it helps with less clutter and gives my kids appreciative hearts, perhaps it is also a blessing because it forces a person to really think about their child before shopping. I have to admit -- I don't know if I ever would have gone with a gift that I think will be a HUGE hit with Noah, if I hadn't had to really sit down and plan my shopping so thoroughly.























12 comments:
Angie - this is a great tip! I love hearing how other families handle Christmas gifts. Such a crazy time of year. I'm off to read your other post. :)
Duckabush Blog
We do 3 gifts. We don't really specify who gives them the gifts. They know about Santa, so I think they assume the gifts come from him. Sometimes we do stockings, sometimes we don't. It definitely does make you consider what you are buying for your children, when you realize you aren't going to buy them everything in sight. My grandmother always sends money for the kids too, so I do use that to buy gifts and tell them they are from her, which gives me a little more flexibility. One thing we try to do is make one of the gifts have some kind of spiritual aspect. Now, since my kids are young, it is things like a Noah's Ark Puzzle or T-shirts with Scripture on them. Anyway, I think you will find that you enjoy going with the 3 gift plan more each year.
Great tip!
After reading other bloggers giving only 3 gifts, just as Jesus received I decided to go the same route. I noticed that Princess got a case of 'present burn-out' last year and wanted to cut down and this seemed the perfect way to limit myself.
Since then I have been much more relaxed and her presents are something I know she will love, not plastic junk that will sit in the corner untouched as of Dec 26th.
That's a great idea! I think that we're going to go with the 3 gift plan too. My oldest is only 4 1/2 and I have 2 younger than him so I'm lucky that he'll never really remember having a whole lot of gifts. I like that the 3 gifts keeps Christmas focused on Christ.
http://canearl.wordpress.com
I think it's a great idea. We didn't get tons and tons of gifts growing up, but the few that we did get were things that we *really* wanted and used a lot! .There was usually one big-ticket item, a few smaller ones, plus stocking stuffers, and since there was more thought in the gift, it always meant more. This year I'm making my Christmas gifts so hopefully they'll be even more special because they are filled with love and my free time!
Typically we do the same thing...There is usually one outfit (which consists of one top, pants, underwear, and socks all wrapped up together as one gift) for each kid (we have 2), then a gift from Momma, a gift from Daddy, and then on Christmas morning one gift from Santa.
My favorite Christmas growing up was when my parents gave each of us five themed presents. Mine included things like a duffle bag full of volleyball stuff, a set of piano music, etc. and then one major present (an electric piano) that I have used and cherished since I got it. I love the idea of limiting presents to just a few well thought out things, it makes them more meaningful and worthwhile gifts rather than all the cheap toys or sale items.
Thanks for the comment.
Interesting thought...and it helps to avoid all the junk! It would be much easier to enjoy the presents and focus on the true meaning of Christmas when they are limited to a few precious things!
We give gifts according to this poem (one for each):
something you want
something you need
something to play with
something to read
You're right--less is more and it does make for a better season.
Sounds like really good advice. Too late for me this year. I'm going to remember next year, though.
Great ideas. I think you're right...more thought, less gifts, better Christmas.
Post a Comment