Thursday, February 7, 2008

Three things that I now know don't go together...

Doing one's taxes online (including the taxes for two businesses as part of that) while fasting for Ash Wednesday and trying to take care of a fiesty three year old that is in a particularly foul mood.

Seriously -- it wasn't pretty. And, afterwards, I have to admit that I felt like a pretty bad Mom. I lost my temper with Molly when I put her down for a nap. This including things like saying, "Fine -- just go get the Care Bear," after much whining by her. Except, well, you can read that in a nice way, but the way I said it was not nice. I said other things like that thoughout the day as well, such as when she insisted on changing for the fourth, fifth, and sixth times after getting things like water on her clothes or some crumbs from snack.

I realized that not only was she behaving poorly, but so was I, right as I was laying her down for nap. I was glad that I realized it before walking out of the room, because then I had the chance to apologize for her for getting angry with her.

Her response was, "Okay," and then she briefly paused and said, "I love you, Mommy."

Of course, this did make me feel a little bit worse, but mostly it made me feel better. Still, in the quiet of my house, I had to pray for strength in my vocation of motherhood.

And, as I feel sometimes happens, I heard God making a request of me. I smiled. And, then I promised Him what he was urging me to say, "Yes, Lord, I promise I will not try to do my taxes again when I am home alone with the kids."

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comments:

Trudy said...

I've had days like this! You can bet when I'm fasting I'm always impatient. This is one of the hardest things for me. I remember it meant so much when my Mom apologized to me as a child.