Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reading in the Bathtub During the Tornado Warning














It had rained off and on throughout the day on Wednesday, but during a nice part of the day, I had the children out with me working on picking some grape and cherry tomatoes.

We had only picked a few before, out of nowhere, the tornado sirens began to sound. Having a couple of naturally skittish kids, all of the kids ran in to the house without me having to say anything.

We turned on the local channel to find that the storm was actually supposed to hit us in 37 minutes. (Isn't weather reporting amazing?) So, with sirens still going, I persuaded Molly to join me in finishing the harvest.

As the 37 minutes got closer to ticking down, we watched as the sky got more and more dark. It was an eerie dark. Finally, the rains and wind came. And, then it got even darker. That was when the kids got even more nervous. So, we got set with a flashlight, glow sticks, pillows, and a book, and we headed for the bathroom. (In our small home, we don't have many options of where to go during storms.)

When all was said and done, we spent around 30 minutes in a small bathroom -- all five of us! Eric, ever the gentleman, offered me the toilet to sit on (with the lids down, of course). I, however, opted for more leg room and took the bathtub (since nobody else wanted it). The kids all sat with their pillows on the floor (along with Eric, though I'm not sure how they managed that, as it is probably not more than ten square feet of sitting space).

We said a prayer (I prayed aloud and then had us join together for a Hail Mary, noting to myself that I probably shouldn't have picked a prayer with "death" in it while the kids were scared), snapped the glow sticks, and tried to take everyone's minds off the blowing wind sounds by reading a couple of chapters from The Birchbark House.

We were very thankful for the glow sticks, because the power went off for a few seconds. Long enough for the kids to scream, but they didn't, because they only ended up with enough time to notice their glow sticks glowing brightly, and then the power came back on.

While I wouldn't wish for weather so bad that it sends us all into the bathroom, but I couldn't help but smile about the whole thing. I'm sure it was quite a picture to see, that's for sure. But, more precious was that Noah thanked me several times for reading to them during the storm, and thanked Eric several times for making them comfortable and getting their glow sticks ready.

Overall, I think it's safe to say that despite the bad weather, the experience was one of those finer things in life.


photo by David Kingham

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you're all safe.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you all were safe!

Jenny said...

That is so cute. Luckily, we have a basement to go to in bad weather, but it's still pretty scary.

I'm glad you are all ok.

Jennifer said...

We spent some time in Nebraska when my husband was in the military. Our house on base had a tiny square bathtub--I've never seen one anywhere else. That's where I curled up when the sirens whined.

I'm glad you were all right--I'm sure in the end it will be a good memory for your kids!

Heather said...

I have SO many memories of all of us kids down in the basement with the sirens going off and my Memaw trying to get us all settled! It always seemed to happen while our parents were at work. Then, we'd inevitably need to use the potty, but there was no potty in the basement...I'm telling you that woman was an angel on earth!!

Amy Lynne said...

What a good way to keep everyone distracted! I am glad you all were safe!

MrsCoach said...

Here where we are we had a tornado hit about three weeks ago. Something that NEVER happens, and may never again, so I've never heard a siren before. I think it's amazing that when the sirens go off your children know what to do. That is a blessing.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

It is nice to look back on scary moments like that in a positive manner! And glow sticks are a great idea!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Glad y'all are ok. How scary, but definitely makes it less so when trying to keep mind off of it. :D

Amy @ Finer Things said...

You get the Smart Mama and Fun Mama award all in one day! LOVE the glow stick idea; what a great distraction when the weather is scary.

We are quite familiar with our tornado sirens here in Kansas. :(