Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Visual Cues to Help Homeschoolers Become More Independent

Last week, I was going to be gone in the morning, so I left the kids a few of their books that they could do without me (to do while my Mom was here with them).

I thought about leaving her a list of what they needed to do in each book, but, instead, I decided to empower them in education, with some visual cues.

I had some little strip Post It notes that I had picked up inexpensively at Target. I wrote "Start" on one strip and "Stop" on another for each book. I place them in the correct starting and stopping points.

My kids loved this! In fact, they liked it so much that I have done it a few times since that day, even when I am home to tell them exactly where to start and stop. I think it definitely gave them a feeling of being in charge and responsible. They didn't need any help to know where to go in a book or how much they had to do.

I can't imagine what could be better -- it helps the kids to take responsibility for themselves and they like it!

This post is linked to: Works for Me Wednesday and Thirsty Thursday.

7 comments:

April said...

I do this too with my kids. I use those Post-It tabs in red and green (Green means "GO", red means "STOP", obviously, LOL). My kids love this and it is so much faster than writing them notes.

Raise Them Up said...

That's so cool! I love it!

Raise Them Up said...

That's so cool! I love it!

scrapper al said...

Amazing how such a "little" thing can be so empowering.

Jenny said...

That's a great idea.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! I don't know why I hadn't thought to do something similar with my children all along!

Thanks so much.
Elaine H

Janet said...

Neat idea. :)