Happy Earth Day!
In honor of Earth Day, I thought I would post about the newest addition to our backyard -- a composter!
I have been wanting to buy a composter for a while now, but everywhere that I looked was so expensive, plus I couldn't seem to find one locally, so I would have had to pay shipping as well. I was none too pleased about that, and so then I started thinking about us making/building our own composter. That's when I happened upon this link about making your own composter with a standard large trash can with lid.
We went ahead and popped over to our local big box Mart and bought a $10 trash can with a lock on lid. I also spent another $5.00 for a little platform which I thought we would set it on so that it wasn't sitting directly on the ground. Eric is so darn handy that while he was drilling holes in the trash can, he went ahead and just attached the wooden platform onto the bottom of the trash can. Also, at my urging, he did add more than 12 holes (what the link above calls for) to the trash can.
We have only had it set up for around two weeks, but things seem to be going well. We finally cleaned out our garden, since it will be time to start planting vegetables again before we know it, and got to add that all to the composter. Plus, we put in some leaves from around the yard that were, um, well, still on the ground. Sad, isn't it? Plus, that first day we added in some vegetables that were past their prime. To finish off that first day of putting it all in there, we then started up the garden hose and watered it just a bit. Just enough to get it damp.
Then over the last two weeks, I have added in things like banana peels, clementine peels, and cantaloupe rinds. I have also frequently gone out to roll the can around the yard, in lieu of using a tool to mix things around inside, though I may get one sometime.
Of course, I don't have any real results to give yet, but it seems to be going well. Things are starting to rot inside the can, but it isn't stinky. Sure, it is kind of a surprising smell to open it and put something in, but not really horrible. I told my Mom, "It's just like hot, rotting fruit." She then said to me, "And that's not a bad smell?" But, seriously -- not really. And, we only smell that when we actually open it.
If you have been thinking of composting, but just couldn't bring yourself to spend $100+ on a composter, maybe the trash can composter would be a great option for your backyard too!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Make It Yourself: Inexpensive Composting Bin Using a Trash Can
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















8 comments:
Funny you mention this...my husband and I have been wanting to use a compost bin for sometime now. We actually have one made in our backyard that previous owners put in. Along with our vegetable garden, this is our spring/summer project.
Yahoo on the composter! But watch out. Pretty soon you're going to want another one and then maybe even a third one. At least that's what happened to me, lol.
A couple years ago I bought one from our town and this year bought a rain barrel from them. I just got them all set up for the Spring. Maybe this year I will be able to water my flowers if we get another drought!
Great idea. I will remember this in case I do want another one. Mine always gets so full.
Thanks for sharing this, Angie. We have a compost pile right now---it's ALL LEAVES and pine needles. If we'd tried to bag it all, we'd have needed a gazillion bags, and we'd probably need 50 trash cans to fit it all for a "real" compost bin.
That said, I have been wanting to do "real" composting for a while---the kind like you're doing, with food scraps and such. I had not heard of this trash can idea before, but it sounds so totally EASY! I will definitely check out the directions on how to make one. Thanks!
What an AWESOME blog. I happened by on account of looking for ideas on building a composter and found so much more in my short time perusing the site.
We have family friends with a child who has the same type of Autism as your son.
Him and my son took communion last year together. Unfortunately, I don't recall when your son did his... but I suspect the children are close in age.
You can see pictures of his communion as posted (last May)on my blog. Just type in communion on the upper left hand corner blog search bar.
I'll be saving your blog in my reader, and hope to pop by soon.
Feel free to pop by and say hello.
Carol
Once the compost is done cooking - how does one get it out of the bottom?
@ Anon. -- There are a few options:
1. Make a screen so that you can strain out only the finished compost.
2. Have a second composter just like it, and use one while the other "cooks."
3. Stop using it for a while and let everything "cook."
Angie-How is the composting bin going? We are preparing our front yard for the winter to be a big ole' edible garden. I've been researching compost bins and worms and was wondering how yours was going?
Post a Comment