Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WFMW: A twist on decorating with family pictures


Since this week is the first Wednesday of the month, that means it's time for a themed Works for Me Wednesday again. The theme for this month is a "Best of" edition. So, we're supposed to pick a favorite WFMW that we already published.

The one that I picked out (below) was originally published on January 22, 2008.
----------------------------------------------------

Sometime last year, I decided that I didn't like my wall arrangement of photographs in our dining room. It was made up of around seven framed photographs -- ranging from 4x6 to 8x10 (and only one of those!).

So...first thing -- bigger pictures do tend to look better on the wall. So, I knew I wanted some larger framed pictures than I had.

Then, I was at Michael's and saw their $9.99 black 12x12 frames that are sold as "album frames" (you know -- record albums). They were 50% off, so I picked up seven of them.

I then picked seven scrapbook layouts, and have them hanging in our dining room.I get so many compliments on these!

It's different than just having photographs framed, and it's very visually appealing. I will point out -- my layouts don't coordinate with one another. I just picked favorites that were fairly recent and made sure everyone in the family was represented.

Above the seven layouts (four in a horizontal line, and then three in a horizontal line above those), I have a long and narrow wooden sign that says "All Because Two People Fell In Love." (It's hard to read in the pictures below, but not in person.)

So...if you're a scrapbooker (or could at least do up a few layouts), this is a great way to frame something a little different than your average photograph. Or, if you really can't muster up a few scrapbook layouts, maybe try to get some photographs printed as 12x12 photographs -- squares are so fun and different!





(I apologize for the dark photographs, but this was the best I could do that day.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

Michie said...

This is something I've been interested in doing, but I've never known where to get a 12x12 frame that isn't really expensive. I would never have thought of those albumn frames at Michael's! Thanks for the tip!

The Buntens said...

That is a great idea!!! It looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

That's so cute!!

Unknown said...

They do look fabulous!! I love decorating with photos. I'm going to give this one a try--if I can find all of my scrap booking stuff. I have a lot of it, but I never use it.

Sandy said...

Terrific idea!

Susanne said...

Wath a great idea! I'm also addicted to scrapbooking, it's so funny!:-)
I invited you to my homepage at sb.com.
scrapbook.com/places/suss and my blog at sussscrap.blogspot.com/

On my blog I just write in Swedish now but I going to translate it in English as soon as possible.
Hope to see you soon there!:-)
Hugs!/Susanne