Monday, December 8, 2008

How I Miss Your Yellowing Pages

Just in case you're sitting around wondering what in the world to buy me this year for Christmas (okay, maybe you're not really doing that), I have found the answer...


My Mom just loaned me her well loved Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook Book (1961 edition) because I want to make donuts tomorrow night while we put up the Christmas tree. I thought maybe that would be a nice tradition to start (as long as the donuts turn out).
Oh man -- looking through this cookbook is so much fun! Of course, like most books that were around when my sisters were little though, they left their lasting legacy throughout its pages.
It would seem that, while it is very possible to buy one (thank you, Ebay), it will not be cheap. Current auctions range from $24.99 (it only just started, and it's the binder version -- I'd really rather have the actual book, though I would take the binder version, if anyone is buying *wink*) to $112.00.
I wonder how many times I flipped through the pages of my Mom's book to make peanut butter cookies in our big yellow Pyrex bowl.
So, watch out Ebay and Etsy -- I'll be keeping my eye on you both and my big yellow bowl will be ready and waiting.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Amanda #1 said...

I have a 1956 edition (you can see the cover here) in binder form that is yours if you trust a random blog reader enough to send me your address :) I know it's not your ideal in terms of edition or format, but beggars can't be choosers, right? LOL.

(aosterATmailDOTcom)

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Oh my goodness, Amanda -- that is *so* generous of you! I really, really appreciate it.

Um...*blush*...apparently beggars can be choosers though. ;) LOL I'm still keeping my eye out for the 1961 "New Picture" version because there are some recipes that are different.

Apparently they have reprinted the 1950 one (which is basically the 1956 one also, apparently) and are selling it in a new book. Isn't that cool? I almost thought of getting it instead, but it's missing some of the recipes that I wanted. Go figure!

Seriously though -- that was so, so, so sweet of you! Thanks for thinking of me!