Sunday, June 29, 2008

Commence Homeschool Freak Out

Today I had to stop by the now former school of the boys. I knew that what did happen might happen if I had to go to the school, but there was no choice -- I had a commitment, so I had to stop by.

And, sure enough -- the class lists were posted. You see, I haven't actually officially told the school that we will be homeschooling next year. Plenty of people know, but I have not yet withdrawn the kids and made a declaration of it.

Heck...I'll go one step farther. I even requested who I wanted them to have as teachers next school year, just in case anything changed and we needed to send them to school. (We can request teachers by submitting our top three choices.)

I saw the lists posted, and I couldn't help but look. And there, I saw that both of the boys ended up with good teachers. (I had been particularly worried about Jack, because they originally were planning to place in him with teachers I didn't want him to have. That's a long story, so I won't get into it.) Alas though, both with good teachers. But, then I was relieved to see that none of Jack's best buddies were in his class. Then, I peeked at Noah's, only to find his very best friend from this year still in his class next year. (They go to a very large school, so it's not uncommon to have someone in your class one year and then never have them in your class again.)

Noah doesn't make friends easily. I suppose because of his Autism, as he gets older, the kids notice his differences more. But, "best friend" likes him just the way he is. And, here I have the opportunity to let them be in class together again, and I'm stopping it.

And, for that matter, here I was standing in the hallway of their nice school. Their school that offers so many opportunities. Their school that they both like (although I must note that they are very excited about homeschooling now).

Commence homeschool freak out.

I had a horrible time keeping my mind on task during my meeting. My mind raced.

Am I making a mistake?

Is this really in their best interest to keep them home?

Should I pick up the school supply lists, in case I break down and send them back to school? (I did, by the way, pick them up on my way out.)

What if the boys hate me later that I took them out of school, even though they are excited right now?

Would God be mad at me if I sent them to school after He seemed to specifically tell me otherwise?

Why do I have to always be so unsure of myself?

Can I just keep my mind on this meeting already?

I think I finally kind of kept my mind on my task, but then as soon as I got home, Eric knew I was upset. I told him about my freak out.

I said, "They got good teachers next year."

Eric said, "You are the best teacher they will ever have."

While I appreciated the compliment, I still felt deflated.

Noah, hearing this (but not knowing why Eric said it) exclaimed, "Yeah Mom! You're gonna be our best teacher ever!" and gave me a hug.

Photo by Benimoto

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your husband is right, you ARE the best teacher they could ever have. But I understand, and I'll pray for you.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Thanks, Michele! I appreciate the prayers!

Sarah said...

you'll do great. i admire your courage in this undertaking. being in the midst of our own public vs. parochial school decision, i can understand and sympathize with your decision. i have often thought that maybe i should just homeschool them - but i know that i can't. it's not a good fit for my personality, at all. so i greatly respect your courage.

Anonymous said...

Your hubby is right, no teacher is better then mom! Even tho your son's best buddy is going to be in his class, that doesn't mean that they might end up hating each other by the end of the school year, kids change with the wind, you can't base your decision to home school on things like that. Everything will be fine, relax and enjoy the ride!

C said...

I was just strolling by your blog, and I noticed the lists posted, and I couldn't help but look. And there, I saw that both of the boys ended up with the one teacher in the world that can relate to them, love them, and nurture them in a way that no other person can.

The perfect teacher ... for both of them.

What are the odds??

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Awww...thanks, Christine! That was a really dear thing to say!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh Angie, I can so relate to this right now! I just let Jonathan (age 3) go to Vacation Bible School for the first time, and he LOVED it, and obviously thrived, and learned so many new things, and now I'm wondering what in the world I'm doing keeping him home instead of sending him to preschool!

SandyCarlson said...

Listen to your heart, Angie. You will always be your kids best teacher, wherever they do their book learning. I don't think God becomes angry when we are honestly striving to do our best by our loved ones. I believe God is with us in the struggle to do right. And whatever you do, God will be there.

Change as your heart moves you and you will do right. God dwells there, after all.

God bless.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

No matter what decision you make there is always that little bit of doubt that the other choice would have been better. I think your husband and your children are right to have confidence in you. If you feel it's right for your family, give it a try. At least you know that you have a good backup system in place if it does not work for your family.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Having too many good options can be so hard! Second-guessing oneself is a definite hazard in homeschooling. In my homeschooling years I heard it from too many moms, and they were all doing an awesome job. Get ready to go with your gut on a daily basis with no regrets. Good luck!

Trudy said...

Get used to it. This coming year will be our 5th year homeschooling and this type of uncertainty occurs about 3-4 times per year for me. It's natural to doubt that you are the best option for their education...but God knows best and He will give you all that you need, if you let Him.