Monday, June 9, 2008

Yesterday's Harvest from the Garden

Yesterday, since it had been a whole two days since the last time I had harvested in the garden, I went out to see what was ready to pick. I grabbed two large Corelle (not the regular breakfast cereal kind of bowls), and went out to the backyard.


Just under 2 full pounds of strawberries -- we only picked the reddest ones, and left everything else out for another day. On Friday, I picked about a pound of strawberries!


A big pile of buttercrunch and romaine lettuce -- though this is mostly romaine lettuce. I have to say, it has been SO rewarding to grow leaf lettuce. We have both of the lettuces in pots, instead of in the actual garden, and they have been growing wonderfully!

The can of soda is next to the lettuce to try to show how large the pile is, especially considering I picked just about that much about two or three days ago.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I ask why you put your lettuce in a pot instead of the garden? Just curious. Maybe that will be what we do next.

scrapper al said...

The strawberries and lettuce look so yummy! Your garden must be doing really well.

Anonymous said...

Oh yumm I wish we had a garden but i just dont have a great thumb!

Deeny said...

Such lovely Strawberries. Our Strawberry season here is back in February. It is too hot here now. We have a big Strawberry festival here in February. However I live in the city and don't have a green thumb. I grew some herbs in a container garden that did well but that is it. One day maybe we will move to the country and i can learn to grow more produce. You have a wonderful blog site with lots of info. nice meeting you through your blog. Deeny

Becca L. said...

Those look awesome! I am such a garden slacker!

Sandy said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Trudy said...

Those strawberries look so red and juicy. How nice to have fresh lettuce for salads everyday. Looks like you have a green thumb.

Kellie said...

Those strawberries look SO much better than the ones at the grocery store! I've never tried gardening but when I see things like this post, I SO want to!