But, I have come to realize I'm getting older.
I don't actually begrudge myself getting older. And, while I am a bit wistful while realizing that each of my little babies is no longer a little baby, it also isn't what makes me sad.
It is the realization that my grandparents and great aunts and uncles are getting older.
I was around 17 years old when the first of my close relatives passed away -- my paternal grandfather. Before that, although I had already bitterly dealt with the passing due to a car accident of several young men from my high school, I hadn't had to have a relative that I knew pass away.
As crazy as it sounds then, I didn't really have to deal with any more close relatives passing away from a long time after that. But, then, it started happening. In the last ten years (or maybe even less), Eric and I have lost several of our great aunts and uncles. In 2007, it hit even one generation closer, and I lost one of my aunts (my Dad's older sister). And, this April, Eric's Grandmom passed away -- the first of one of our grandparents to pass away since I was 17.
Last week, we again found ourselves with a loss. My Great Aunt Phyllis passed away (my maternal grandmother's sister). I went with my parents to her funeral this past Monday, and I suspect that there was hardly a dry eye in the house, particularly while both Amazing Grace and I'll Fly Away were sung.
It is with sadness that I say good bye to Aunt Sis. And, it is with extra sadness that I know that this is not nearly the last time we'll be needing to say goodbye to this generation.
Saturday, June 21, 2008
It makes me sad to think about it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I am so sorry for your recent losses. I will remember your family in my prayers tonight.
Post a Comment