If you don't know about any children's clothing consigment sales in your area, this is the time when it is worth asking everyone you know if they've heard about any. (Depending on how large the sales are, they are even often worth a drive.)
I was just able to go to an area children's clothing cosignment sale. I was able to shop on the consignors night, because I take clothes from my kids there.
Usually I end up making just a little less than I spend, which always thrills me. Of course, I would love to make as much or more than I spend. I actually do, technically, usually make more than I spend. But, when the sponsoring organization takes out $5 for fees and then another 30% of the sales, I typically make just under what I spent.
So, here was my haul for the sale this season (fall/winter items only, as they have a spring/summer sale later):
Molly:
- 21 shirts (some will be big this year, and should also fit next year)
- 6 dresses (including at least one very pretty Christmas dress)
-(no pants, because she has a ton of pants as hand-me-downs)
Jack & Noah (easier to just count them up together):
- 10 shirts
- 2 pairs of pants
I was pleased with this, because it is more than I have ever been able to get before for the boys. The boys clothes are not as plentiful, particularly when you hit about a size six or above. So, when I'm looking for 8's and 12's, it can be very hit and miss.
New nephew (my Mom wanted me to pick up things for her for my nephew that will be born in January):
- 7 outfits (I could have bought WAY more, but it was hard when I was trying to describe things to her on the phone)
Toys:
- 2 stuffed animals (Like I need any more stuffed animals in this house! But, there was a regular sized Care Bear for $1 and a stuffed My Little Pony for $.50, and I knew Molly would love both)
- 1 My Little Pony Ice Cream Truck with all accessories and one My Little Pony with it
Friday, September 19, 2008
$119.25 spent for 51 items (aka Consignment Sales Rock!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















10 comments:
I love shopping consignment. Most of my kids' clothes have some from it!
Wow! I need to be a better bargain shopper. Compared to that I spend way to much on clothes. I like Beall's when they have clearance sales of 75% off but I never do as well as you did. I should actually look for more consignment shops in my area. There's is a Children's consignment shop that is about a mile from my house but my ids are older now. The youngest is 12. Ok you have inspired me. Have a great Day :-)
Deana
That's a great haul! Good for you!
Good job! Yes, consignment sales are great. Between these and resale shops, I almost never pay retail for clothes (and most toys too).
Unfortunately, I missed one of the biggest for our area - last weekend.
Hi, I just found your blog. I love it, I am trying to read up on it as much as i can. You have so many things in common with me. I am A Catholic, went through RCIA with my husband in 2004. My daughter and son both have Asperger's..just diagnosed last year. My daughter is recieving her first communion later on this year.
I homeschool my daughter and my son is in pre-k. Your blog is wonderful.
I consign also, it is fun and saves lots of money.
I am reading and enjoying your blog, thanks!
I am getting items ready for consignment. This is my first consignment sale, and I am excited about selling and buying. Blessings!
I'm right there with ya! I love consignment stores and their sales are by far the best bargains around! My local store even has layaway, an added bonus!!! Great work!
I like you new tabs/pages at the top of your blog!
Just realized my typo in my first comment. ARG! Some should be come. Sorry! :)
Thanks, Mandy! I worked on it for a long time, and have been putting it off for even longer.
(It wouldn't have taken nearly as long, but I had to write some of those posts. LOL)
The only problem is that now it has caused an Internet Explorer issues that made the background on one of the sides disappear. So, I had to change it all to white. I'm not sure what I think about that, but it really didn't look good with one side blue and the other side white. Augh!
Consignment stores ROCK! We have a great one in our small town. It is so good that people for miles around bring and send in their children's clothes. My daughter would not be as well dressed as she is if it wasn't for consignment stores! My problem is I don't take stuff in as much as I should. I would be rich!
Your total is awesome. I never seem to make it to the big sales. I almost never pay full price though because I shop the discount rack!
Post a Comment