We are just hours from the start of Lent right now, and many in the blogosphere are discussing whether they tell people what they are giving up for Lent or they are just sharing what it is that they are doing.
For many years (while I was Episcopalian), I gave up things that I thought would be a sacrifice. Several years were chocolate, a couple of years was red meat, and so on.
While I was going through RCIA though, I was really struck by the idea of having your Lenten promise really and truly be something that you thought would bring you closer to God.
I know, that sounds like a no brainer. But, I think a lot of people don't think about that. I know I didn't really truly think of it. So, I would abstain from something like chocolate, and that had me covered.
Since converting, I have really done more adding things during Lent than giving things up. I have spent the last couple of years giving up some of my shopping during Lent (especially crafty types of things), because I feel like the consumerism probably does take me from God. Moreso though, I try to find various ways to be more present for God. I add in more prayer, have joined a study of the Catechism (which my parish has each Lent), and have been involved with a Lenten retreat. (I was a participant in that last year, and will be putting it on this year.)
I can say, without a doubt, that my Lenten seasons have been more fulfilling ever since I really thought, "Does this sacrifice help make me more present to God?" (With adding in things, I find that my "sacrifice" is time.)
Before we converted, as some of you already know, neither Eric nor I had ever been to a Catholic Mass (other than weddings). When we finally decided to do it though (after much prayer and research), I still remember that I told Eric, “We can’t just attend Mass on weekends and then not go to the church again all week. We will need to find ways to be active at the parish. Because if we’re in, we’re all in.”
So, when I look at Lent, I think, "How can I be a little more 'all in' for God?" And, for me, I find that most of those ways are to sacrifice my time that I would have spent on other things, and instead, I give it to God.
Be sure to check out Works for Me Wednesday at its new home -- We are THAT Family.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Being "all in" for God
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















7 comments:
Good for you, Angie. Excellent point about being there more than just Mass times.
We hope to get more involved, too. My husband is a Knight (if you're interested, EXCELLENT life insurance!), and there are some ministries that attract me. Time is an issue for us right now (my dh is in school), but I look forward to the day when the Church feels more familiar.
I wish you a blessed Lent! I'll pray for you!
You are very right! But I think its more than just participating in church events "for God". God wants us to fellowship with other believers and encourage and uplift one another. Just another great reason to be involved in your church beyond Sunday mornings! Thanks for sharing.
Awesome! I am a cradle Catholic so you will know more than I ever will. That being said, I am following a daily devotional that my church handed out. I am also giving up all 'junk' food. I look at things like giving up chocolate or pop, as identifying with the fast of 40 days and nights so in a way it is bringing yourself closer to God. I thought that I would throw that in for those who want to give up.
I have got into the habit of going to bed very late which has the knock-on effect of not having much time for early morning devotions.
This year, during lent, I have decided to make sure I'm in bed by 11pm each night and therefore enabling me to get up earlier to do more devotions in the mornings.
Great post. It really gives me alot to think about.
Good post, Angie! I'm a Lutheran (Lutherans and Catholics are "kissin' cousins", I'd say. I also focus on choosing some discipline to bring me closer to God --- more prayer, less TV, more time volunteering, less spending (and then more giving!). The point we share, I think, is that whatever will draw us to him or give us more time with Him, is good.
Sometimes serving others is the way to draw near to Him, too, if we're looking for Him in them!
Many of the lifestyle changes I have made in past Lent seasons have become permanent. Which means I have less and less to give up every year! There are actually 3 components: almsgiving, prayer, and fasting. If you can find a way to combine all 3 that would be great! Giving up your time for church activities could be seen as all 3 I think.
Post a Comment