As four year old Molly would say, "Woo-weef!" My taxes are now done and submitted.
Remember the other day when I said that I only had half a year's worth of mileage recorded?
I was wrong.
I had mileage written out for most of January written out. And, yet, here I am with our personal taxes now done along with my two business taxes with it.
And, for the record, let me say, this is not a small amount of mileage (at least not to me). I ended up recording over 6,000 miles from last year for therapy home visits (which I do on a part time basis as an independent contractor). This meant that yesterday, I had to sit down with all of my billing for 2008 and write out when I went where. Luckily, because I tend to see the same children over and over (and then occassionally lose one and gain another), I was able to use some of the same figures over again and again.
Let me insert a word of warning here -- I would not suggest anyone put off writing out your mileage for an entire year and then try to do it before tax time. I think that you risk being inaccurate. I am lucky that in my case, I have a couple of different proofs of where I went (signed session notes and billing forms), beyond my written log.
Okay, so that being said, my taxes went a lot more smoothly this year, and I was able to finish in just a few hours (not including figureing out mileage). I am happy to report that we are getting back a small refund, though we have to pay our state a small amount. Oh well -- you can't win them all, right?
More so, I'm just happy to have it as one less thing on my "to do" list. This was definitely the kind of Tackle it Tuesday that I needed!
Have you done your taxes yet? Do you do them yourself (online or paper/pencil) or have an accountant do them for you?
Oh -- one other quick note to save you some money if you do them with TurboTax: Regions Bank has a link on their website, and if you follow through them to TurboTax, you get 20% off the cost of your taxes! You don't have to sign in as a bank member to get the discount.
photo by reb






















6 comments:
For the past few years we've just had an accountant do our taxes. In fact we just turned all of our stuff in yesterday!
We turn ours over to a CPA. We have had several business ventures, etc.
How do you organize your information through out the year to make it all come together so quickly?
email me.
Thanks
Lynne
donicampbell@hotmail.com
We are doing our taxes tomorrow. It is a nightmare trying to back track a whole year!! Great tackle!
We have an accountant do ours, since we have a business. I would like to save the money and do it ourselves, but it's too much of a hassle.
Congrats on getting yours done! My husband is taking our papers tomorrow!
I used to do ours myself, but have recently started using an accountant. It is nice having someone who know the ins and outs taking care of it and signing off that it is correct!
We get our taxes done Thursday.
I do them online. I have done most of them, but since I will pay this year, haven't finished filing. I'll wait until April.
Post a Comment