Saturday, February 14, 2009

When The Day Doesn't Go As Expected

It's easy to make plans, but sometimes things can change in just a moment. We had a day just like that this week.

We were at an open gym time earlier this week when the kids were jumping on a big trampoline. The next thing I knew, someone said to me, "Your son is crying."

I didn't see what happened, but apparently while Jack was jumping, he came down on his foot in some odd way. So, there he sat, weeping at the side of the trampoline.

And what did I do? I told him to suck it up, basically.

Nice, huh?

I carried him to where he could sit down, and asked him to just rest. He would stop crying for a while, and then would start up again. I finally threatened a doctor's visit if he wouldn't put his foot down to walk.

He then replied, "I guess we have to go to the doctor then." I think that I probably asked him to stop crying a few times after that. Really -- his ankle looked fine. No swelling. No discoloration. Nothing.

But, I realized that a trip to the urgent care was in our future.

We went straight there and spent one hour and forty minutes to find out that not only was Jack not being dramatic, but he actually had a sprained ankle. (They even did an X-ray to be sure it wasn't broken.)

A few days later, Jack is now walking on it (although he still has a brace to wear). He did, however, have to use crutches for a day before he could finally put his foot down. Oddly, they didn't want to give him crutches at the doctor's office. Apparently since he would only need them for about a day, they thought it would be better for us to carry around a seven year old everywhere he needed to go. (Ummm...okay.)

Isn't it kind of funny how in just one moment your whole day can change?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

photo by Scoobyfoo

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I sprained my ankle over the holidays when I took my boys to one of those jumping places. I was trying to help one of them up a ladder, slipped, and landed on my ankle wrong. Let me tell you....IT HURTS. BADLY. My friend, who is a nurse, told me that I would have been better off breaking it. It takes longer for a sprain to heal. I feel for your son!!! I am still in pain and still wearing a brace when I exercise.

Hope he feels better soon!!

Sharon said...

Oh....OUCH.
I'm glad it's not worse. But yeah, carry around a 7yo? No way!! lol
I hope he's feeling better.

scrapper al said...

Poor Jack! (and poor Mom!) Hope Jack is back to his active self soon.

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

aww, poor little guy! I don't think I've ever commented here before but thought this was a good place to confess that I sent my then-six-year-old to bed with a broken arm b/c he wouldn't stop crying... and I didn't believe him the 2nd time he broke his arm either! Yes, he's a bit dramatic. LOL