Thursday, February 5, 2009

I need your opinions: blog design question

I like my current blog design (come click through if you read by a FeedReader or through email!), but have been thinking about a different layout as well. There is not much on the different layout, but you can check it out right here.

So, I can't promise to go with the popular vote, but I would love to hear what you all have to say. Do you like the current design/layout better or the second one? And, if you have an opinion about them -- why do you like one design/layout better than the other?

Thanks a bunch!

I like them both, but may be leaning one particular way. (And, after writing this, I may be leaning toward the one my Mom likes best.) Eric likes one layout/design, and my Mom likes a different one than he does. So, I would just love to hear a few opinions.

(Love the comments so far! Just as a side note, there is actually a variation on the second choice. The columns are just in different spots, so the content is still in the middle.)



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

17 comments:

Sue said...

My first time to comment, and such a momentous occasion! My daughter and I agree that the current one is best. We both find it easier to read when the post text is in the middle, rather than two sidebars together on one side. That's our 2 yen!

Anonymous said...

I love the second layout because of the dark red border around the header and sidebars. It really makes your blog pop on the page, and has this overall "finished" look. It really brings the blog together nicely and it looks more complete.

Good luck making your decision!

Mandy said...

I like the old one. My eye is drawn to the text more on the original one than the newer one.

Mandy said...

I like the old one. My eye is drawn to the text more on the original one than the newer one.

Charlotte said...

Hi,
As someone with graphic design background, the second one is absolutely best for a variety of reasons, but the main two being:

1. The dark burgundy borders bring the eye IN to the content, whereas the current design pulls your eye OUT and away. You want people to be pulled IN to your writing immediately, to be focused, right away, on what you wrote. You don't want them to feel disoriented and the leave. The writing has to be there - bam! - immediately, for quick reading.
2. The thinner, columnular space for the actual blog entries is easier on the eye, as concerns the constant reading from left-to-right. Also, for people with older computer monitors, your current set-up may be causing some people have to actually use a horizontal scroll button to read.

Overall, many times people "vote" for older design because they are used to the old version of something, and change makes them uncomfortable.

Catherine said...

I like the old one best, but I usually read from a reader, so it won't affect my blog reading experience too much. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I really like the new one you're considering. It's very neat and clean looking. I definitely think you should go with the variation that puts the content in the middle, though, like you mentioned.

scrapper al said...

I like the "variation on the second choice" best. The "second one" has the main column on the left and the two smaller columns on the right so the page is split right in half, which is an odd layout. The burgundy border is attractive and I agree with Charlotte's comments.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I like the original the best (but it is not because it is what I know since I normally read through a feed reader :)!!). I like it best because the text is in the middle and the sidebars on each side are even. My second choice would be the second one you are thinking of, but with the variation to it.

Hope this helps!

Patricia said...

Hi Angie,
I like the variation on the 2nd choice because it feels better to have the main column in the middle and the red border gives it a crisp and complete feel.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think I like the second one the best (and not the variation). It seems like your photos stand out on it more. I hope this helps! :-)

Karin Katherine said...

I like the variation of the 2nd choice. Its cleaner and easier to navigate.

Michaelle said...

I like the current one best. Balance is important to me, and I felt a little unbalanced with the 2 variations of the second one.

Oddly enough, I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and had to ask my readers for their opinions as well.

Stanislavka said...

Hi, I like the older one, too. Maybe because I am used to the older version. I am not a graphic designer, but I think, the older version forms a harmonic whole, while the second one makes a disturbing effect on me, mainly because of the red border. I also love your old blog, but I will love it in a new clothes too. Please, write us, how is your grandma.

Angel said...

I like it how it is now!

Melissa @ Homegrown Catholics said...

I am a Google Reader person.

I do like the second variation because it has good visual balance. Though I must agree with fellow designers/artists that the second layout with sidebars both to the right is your best bet for attracting readers by focusing on the posts.

In the end, you can always change it!

Melissa @ Homegrown Catholics said...

FYI - I must have changed my blog look about 20 times already, and am still working on it piece by piece.