(Reposted from my business blog)
I often find things that I want to buy. And, darn it -- I'll admit it, then I sometimes obsess over it.
"Won't it be great when I have the money to buy that?"
"I'm going to use it everyday when I have it."
"This is the coolest new gadget out and I NEED it."
"All my friends on the message boards have one, and I think I should too."
My newest "NEED" was a Zutter Bind-it-All.Yes, for a mere $60, it could be mine. I looked it up online. I scouted Ebay for it. I was certain I needed to buy it, and that I would also then need all of the various accessories and doo-dads that it then entailed.
I wanted it so much, I thought about digging out the forbidden credit card to buy it, but then convinced myself that that was JUST WRONG.
And then...I got $50 for Christmas from my in-laws. I was sure that was what I would go ahead and buy it then.
But, then I stopped.
I thought.
I pondered.
$60. And that's not even the various things I would have to go buy for it. Huh.
I thought...would it just sit with some of the other things that I needed so badly that I thought I ached for them?
Maybe.
Did I have alternatives?
Huh -- what about book rings, I thought. Yes, what would making up little books and journals with a book ring on the side instead.
Heck...I could splurge and use five book rings on one and probably have an entire dollar invested into those book rings.
And, I will admit, a funny thing happened. Not only did I feel good that I hadn't spent the money on that Zutter. Not only did I not ache for the Zutter anymore, I realized that I didn't even really want it when I thought more about it.
I breathed a sigh of relief, and I picked up a $1.00 package of book rings on my next trip out.
Even better.
Oh...and better yet? I didn't use the $50 on myself -- I bought my family lunch, and then picked up some clothes the boys needed at Once Upon a Child. Yep...definitely better.
Monday, January 7, 2008
Decisions that Save Money
Posted by Angie @ Many Little Blessings at 11:46 AM
Labels: about me, arts and crafts, excess, finances/frugal ideas, shopping
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















5 comments:
Sigh. It is a hard lesson to learn, and we need to treat ourselves too.
(I did get a Bind-It-All for Christmas, I admit. And I love it. But, I use it for making gifts.)
You Rock!! What a great decision that is. We have a OUAC here and it has good deals at times. Too bad some of my kids are outgrowing the sections with a large supply of clothes...
Good for you! I still want one sooooo badly. But considering how much I scrap, I can't justify the cost.
See -- that's totally what I was thinking, Arlyn. I just know that I would have the best intentions to use it, and then I wouldn't. I know this for a fact, just based on some of the things that I have in my craft room.
So, in retrospect, I'm glad to not have it sitting on a shelf mocking me.
Isn't it nice when you don't even know what some hot item IS? Then you don't have to long for it and pine for it and make tough decisions about whether or not to buy it.
Ignorance is bliss! :)
Post a Comment