Wednesday, January 9, 2008

WFMW: Backwards Editions -- Safe Cleaners for Kids?


Today is another edition of Backwards Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer. The backwards editions are where you ASK a question, rather than give a tip.
So, my question is...
Do you know of any safe cleaners for kids to actually use on their own? Maybe it's something to buy or maybe it's a homemade cleaner. Whatever.
My kids are 8, 6, & 3, and they want to help clean when I am using things like Windex, but I end up spending all my time spraying the cleaner for them.
Is there anything safe that I could feel okay putting in a small spray bottle for them (only to use with supervision though)?
I know...I know...some of you may say that the older ones should be fine with cleaners (or at least the very oldest one, since even I was cleaning the bathrooms at our house when I was his age), but the boys are a little on the immature side (for their ages) and also a bit forgettful. I would be afraid they would just leave something sitting out.
So...if you have any tips of what works for you as far as cleaners, or even a cleaning tip of ways they can help without constant supervision/intervention, I would appreciate it!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

12 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

White vinegar! I use it for everything. You just need a small amount (a few tablespoons per gallon) mixed in with warm water. Put it in your bucket for floors or a spray bottle for windows, sinks, counters, etc. It is fabulous, cheap and safe! I also love using baking soda to clean my tub and sinks. Good luck! (Oh and the vinegar smell goes away as soon as it dries!)

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

White vinegar!! It works really well, is cheap and safe! You just need a few tablespoons per gallon of warm water. Mix it and put it into your spray bottle for windows, countertops, etc. I use it in a bucket to scrub our kitchen and bathroom floors as well. The vinegar smell disappears as soon as it dries. Good luck!

Mamabug said...

I use Basic H from Shaklee. It is a concentrate that you add water to depending on what kind of job you need done. It works on mirrors, basic cleaning and even laundry. It doesn't hurt eyes or anything. We joke around here that there is nothing Basic H cannot do. For kitchen cleaning it is 1/4 tsp per 16oz H2O.
I give my kiddos bubble baths in it as well.

I think Melalueca makes a similarly safe one. Email me if you need more info.

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

I'm a little embarassed to do a shameless plug here, but I can help. I started making my own cleaners when my son started spraying himself in the eye with my cleaning supplies. It turned into a business. Now, my kids can help with the cleaning and I don't have to worry about skin irritation, eye issues, or even if they drink it. Here's our website: www.barefoothomeessentials.com

If you want more testimonials, I can send you some of my own experiences, as well as some of my friends.

Laura said...

Shaklee is awesome. All of their products are safe. Basic H is a concentrated liquid that you add (a very tiny amount) to a spray bottle, then add water. It is very inexpensive and lasts a LONG time. I let all of my kids (ages 10 and under) use this to clean and I don't worry one bit.

Sarah said...

Another vote for Shaklee products. They really work. I've done the white vinegar thing, and it does work, but it can leave glass a little streaky.

Anonymous said...

1/2 cup vinegar, one capfull of sunlight, and a couple drops of peppermint oil. Hubby is the window-cleaner around here, and he says the windows are less streaky with the peppermint oil - we thought it might actually make it worse. Anyway, that's our winning formula for everything, even toilets.

Anonymous said...

Vinegar water and swiffer dusters all the way.

Unknown said...

We use Borax for toilet and countertop cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Even better than vinegar is club soda. It really makes the windows and faucets shine! My 9 yo is completely in charge of cleaning the bathroom mirrors and faucets everyday with just club soda in a spray bottle. No vinegar smell at all! Just leave the lid off the club soda over night so it goes flat. For lots and lots of ideas for safe cleaners, check out the book "Clean House, Clean Planet."

Mich said...

I second the votes for vinegar as a spray and baking soda as a scrub. For streak free windows, use old newspaper-no streaks! You can also get an old-school push carpet sweeper (no power cord)--kids love that!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I use a white vinegar and water combination. My two year old has his own little spray bottle and loves wiping everything with a rag.