When I was doing in home therapy for a family with a decent sized group of multiples, one thing that I really liked was that I saw that at meal times, their Mom always gave them divided plates with something in each spot.
I thought, "Hey -- this could be a solution for my picky eaters!" So, I picked up two sets of faux lunch trays (with each child having their own color, which is nice, since I sometimes have different kids each slightly different things), and I was all set.
Here's why this has worked for me -- the kids seems to be trying more foods and eating at least a slightly better variety of food. But, here's the kicker -- I think it's because it has encouraged me to give them more variety. Not that I didn't mean to before, but this has been a fabulous visual reminder to me to have them try lots of different things!
To check out more tips, tricks, and ideas, check out Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Using Divided Plates and Trays For Healthier Eating
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















7 comments:
It is amazing how little things make a big difference. I love how this helps your children and you.
What a great idea! This strikes me as a simplier version of the bento box. I think foods can be more appealing and be more "special" if they have their own little space. And if you have picky eaters that don't like their food touching, these trays would solve that problem too.
What a great tip!!
My daughter is still a toddler, but her plates are divided as well into 4 sections, and I make an effort each meal to put a different offering in each section. I think it's a great reminder for me as well, and plan to buy larger "trays" like you have when she gets older. Great tip!
Great idea!! :D Definitely gives way for lots of variety and colors. :D
Do you think if I got one of those for myself it would encourage me to eat broccoli? ;)
Great idea! Supposedly you eat more when you have more options. So I'm sure lots of healthy options is a good thing!
Post a Comment