Friday, January 23, 2009

When Did I Become a Granola Eater?

I was recently contacted by Kim from Zoe Foods about trying some of their granola, and I just couldn't say no.

Not only did all of the descriptions on their website sound great, but Kim was simply delightful. (Seriously -- how can you not like someone who asks you about how your Grandma, who has cancer, is doing each time you talk?) I don't know if you're like me, but my dealings with people from a company go a long way toward my feeling about the company. So, kudos to Kim.

Okay, so, enough about Kim -- let's talk granola.

I was excited to try out two of the varieties I was going to be receiving, but told Eric ahead of time, "You're trying the Cranberries Currants one, okay?" Seriously -- I had absolutely no intention of trying it myself. Because, well...cranberries. Oh, and currants too. Just hand me the honey almond, okay?

We had a little taste testing party when the granola arrived, and then again after I went into a time warp with Christmas and vacation and didn't write the review.

The verdict?

They are healthy and tasty! Of course, they are kind of carb heavy, if you are avoiding those, but it's granola. So, of course it's carb heavy. I really like that the granola is all made with whole grains and flaxseed, and just seems to be full of healthy goodness.

I will admit, we both said that we would have enjoyed more of a cinnamon taste from the Cinnamon Raisin variety. But, I also like to add extra cinnamon to many recipes that call for it, so take that for what it's worth.

As promised, we put off trying the Cranberries Currants, and then I said, "Eric, just try it so I can write the review, okay?"

"Fine," he begrudgingly said.

We opened the box and he gave it a try. I expected a response of, "Yeah, it's okay." Instead, he said, "I think this is the best one."

Yep -- you can guess what came next -- I actually tried it. And...I agreed with Eric! That one is yummy!

The granola is versatile, and can be eaten plain (great to take along for a quick snack), with milk (like cereal), or on top of something like yogurt or ice cream.

Not only did we get to try a great treat, but I got to deal with nice people and I tried something that I was sure I wouldn't like. Looks like we won all round!

Check out the Zoe Foods website to see retailers that currently carry their products!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

photo from Zoe Foods

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I love granola. Sigh.
So fattening.

Anonymous said...

I might have to give it a try. I would have eaten them in the same order! :-)
-Kim