Monday, July 7, 2008

In an attempt to be more accountable to myself

I'm going to publically post our food budget for the month (it's $700 for groceries, dining out, picking up ice cream, a soda through the drive thru -- whatever). I'll keep track of what we have spent each month, in the hopes that I will strive to stop from humilating myself by going over what is really an ample food budget.

Our months run from the seventh of one month to the sixth of the next (usually -- unless the seventh falls on a weekend), so our July budget has just started.

Fingers crossed -- I hope this helps!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

Katie said...

Good luck!

scrapper al said...

Good luck! If it helps motivate you, we spend a couple hundred less than that, but we don't have any kids to buy for.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Arlyn -- Here's the thing...we always go over. Always. And, this past month, we went WAY over. I was pretty disgusted, actually. But, with a couple of trips away, and then hosting two different parties at our house (one that I ended up buying $100.00 worth of groceries for because of all of the produce I bought for kabobs and such), it just added up so fast.

Plus, there is, of course, the frequent fast food trips that we really need not to do.

Cindy said...

Angie -

I'm going to sound like an infomercial, I know, but I've really started saving money on the whole grocery front by subscribing to The Grocery Game. The point is, for the first 12 weeks, you are stocking up on items as they hit rock bottom prices. This way you're not paying full price for say, toilet paper, 'cause you've run out. You end up only buying things on sale and the website shows you when things get to the lowest price possible. Good luck with your budget!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I've actually tried the Grocery Game before, Cindy, but I didn't find any benefits at all, actually. Thank you, though, for the advice! I appreciate the help!

nicole said...

That is usually our food budget as well. We also have a "blow" category each pay period though, and that is sometimes used for runs through the drive-thru and stuff. Good luck!