Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Planning for Our Homeschool Year (Tackle It Tuesday #12)

Tackle It Tuesday Meme


I don't have any pictures to show, but I sure have been busy! I finally sat down with mountains of books that we will be using for school this coming school year.

With this being our first year homeschooling (and not exclusively using one curriculum, though many of our things are coming from the same company this year), I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to plan it all out.

I tried to sit down with all the books (which were, by the way, covering our dining room table) and my lesson plan book, but then I kept thinking, "I can't really put in too many plans, because if we don't get to something one day, I have to change it all."

So, then I grabbed a notebook and broke it up into subjects. I then planned out (or am planning) what we will do in each subject during the school year.

So far, I have done spelling, writing/grammar, reading (well -- somewhat, but I knew I could spend days on it, and I wanted to keep working through other things first, after having just a little bit written down), and handwriting. Man, oh man, do my kids need to work on handwriting! They apparently don't work on it in school, and it shows. (My oldest brought his handwriting book home from school this year and they had only done three pages of it! But, I understand that because they have to worry about standardized tests, etc, handwriting isn't high on their priority list.)

I am currently working on (but taking a short break) math plans. Then, I will work on science, social studies, and "extras." Extras includes religion (since we are using a Catholic curriculum, there is religion woven into many of the subjects, so this includes some extra faith activities we will do -- oh, and then the boys will still be attending our parish's CCD program), art, music, P.E., chores, and anything else that might come up.

My table is already starting to look better, since I have been moving books off the table as I plan for that subject. And, I'm feeling more confident about our school year as I actually sit down to truly map it out on paper.

I could try to continue in more depth on this, but I think it would just be to put off going back to work on it some more. Off to math planning I go...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so when youare done with all that just email it on over to me K? he he just kidding. Good job! I am sure your kids will strive for greatness with a teacher as great and as prepared as you!

God bless-
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
I found your blog from Courtney's blog. I am also Catholic and considering homeschooling next year. I have looked at Seton and do like most of it. I have 4 children. I am considering homeschooling my two 4th graders.
They are currently in our Catholic School and the entire curriculum is not Catholic except for their reglion book. So I am wondering why we are spending the big bucks when the texts are the same as the public school. Please email me with any of your thoughts. I am bit nervous about homeschooling.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot to prepare but it will make it so much easier to have a plan. Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

Great Tackle! I call it summer school for mom. All your planning will pay off.

The Apron Queen said...

You go girl! Great tackle! :D

I'm tackling My Bucket List and a great giveaway. Pop on over to check it out: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/search/label/bucket%20list

Today's Bucket List item was Kiss the Most Beautiful Girl in the World!

Anonymous said...

great job, it is always good to get organized before the school year, lol!
If you have time you should check out Homeschooling Wednesday at Happy to be at Home (dot net), bloggers are sharing their curriculum and homeschooling plans for the fall. I am sure there are many who would benefit from your ideas!
Toni

Sarah said...

wow! sounds incredible!

i used to teach so if it's ok i'd just like to throw out a suggestion...something that no one told me during student teaching. it would've helped.

do your specific lesson plans on a weekly basis...later. start by looking at the major units you want to tackle for the year. plan that outline. you can figure out if there's overlap or ways to integrate subjects with such a large overview. then start working on unit plans...some rough ideas of what you want to accomplish within each unit. (including integration) from there you complete an outline for each unit and can write your weekly lesson plans. the unit plans are what you'll end up keeping whereas the lesson plans are much more flexible.

i'm sorry if this is a nosy kind of comment. i think it's absolutely awesome what you're doing and wish you every bit of success possible.

Katie said...

Ah, I need to do this yet! We're largely using CHC so it's mostly planned out for me, but I'm adding in Prima Latina and some Story of the World. I also need to go through the calendar and figure out when our vacations and such are going to be.

I'm such a dork, I'm so excited for the CHILD meetings to start back up! Ha! I'm like OMG AUGUST YAY!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Katie -- We're mostly using CHC too. But, there still seems to be a lot to plan, since I'm adding things to it. Plus, I'm trying to work out to do as much with both boys together to minimize how much separate instruction they need. (They are two years apart in age, but just one grade apart...kind of. That's a long story that I can fill you in about in person.)

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

@ Anonymous -- I would be more than happy to talk more about homeschooling, what we're using, etc. But...you didn't leave an email address to touch base with you. Feel free to drop me an email though! :)

Anonymous said...

Homeschooling is great - your kids will appreciate it so much! You'll do great - enjoy it while you can!

Unknown said...

If u mind me asking, what will u be doing with your 3 year old this year?

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Jolene -- I don't mind you asking at all. I just wish I had a better answer.

She will actually go to preschool two mornings a week, because I think it will be nice for her, particularly being the only girl here and with the boys being close in age.

I did also pick up some things for her to work on letters and numbers (writing them). Plus, I just bought some fun learning toys that she will only be able to play with during school time. My plan is actually to buy her a backpack and change out what is in there about once a week or so (and then cycle things back in there later). And, then only allow her to use her backpack during school hours.

Unknown said...

I am comming along gOOD SO FAR! My goal is to get all the way until December planned. I have been planning last night and a little today and I almost have Spet planned. I dont think I will use a curriculum this yr....I did find some fun sites for the kids to play on and some great websites for info. The problem is there is sooo much I am getting overwelmed...LOL. So many things I want to do with the kids and sooo little time. LOL> I did find another blog that helped me alot with planning and I am working it out breaking it down into catagories and going from there. Im sooo phsyched! Thanks again!