Seriously -- when did it happen?
I don't feel old, certainly. Heck -- I don't actually think that I am old.
But, things seem to be happening every so often that make me scratch my head and think, "Huh. I guess I am getting older."
My reasoning?
Not one, but several of the kids that I used to babysit are now either married or have finished graduate school. Or both!
I have been waited on by many familiar faces in stores and restaurants. I stop to think, "How do I know that kid?" (Yeah -- I call them kids.) Then I realize that they were one of my former students.
I have two nephews in college. I remember changing their diapers!
Just this week, while watching the news, they talked about going into one of the local high schools to register some of the students who will be 18 by Election Day. He spoke eloquently about exciting it was to be able to be involved in such a historic election. He, too, was one of my students when he was in elementary school.
And, a last favorite of mine -- I was playing with a vintage Fisher Price toy with one of the kids that I see for Early Intervention therapy. His Mom talked about what a cute toy it was and wondered how old it was. I flipped it over and read that it was made in 1983. She remarked, "Wow -- it's older than me!"
Friday, October 10, 2008
When did I get so old?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















7 comments:
I think about this, as well. One of my good friends, I met when she was pregnant with her 1st child. I was 13 at the time. That child is now 23 now! And we just found out she's pregnant with her first! It's crazy how fast time goes by.
I know exactly how you feel about seeing old students. I taught 2nd grade my first year. Those students are now seniors in high school working at Chic-fil-a and such. It is very shocking to see them all grown up.
I agree.
What gets me is when kids, babies really are driving. THAT'S when I feel old.
Especially when they are MY babies.
No, no, no, no, no! People born after 1983 do NOT have children! Because that would make me so, SO very old.
I'm going to go cry in my Metamucil now, then pop a Geritol and get on with the rest of my day.
Wait. Maybe I should nap first.
LOL... too funny! I also don't feel old but the little boy who was our ringbearer in our wedding is expecting a baby. I think I might be getting there too! I always laugh and say that I can't be old yet because I'm still having babies myself. Guess I'm going to have to keep that up for a long time! :)
I guess I am old then too! Geez! I'm a teacher and I don't look forward to the time when I start having the children of former students.
Old is when you work with people that are young enough to be your kids. And they're not straight out of high schools kids either, sigh.
Post a Comment