Wednesday, May 23, 2007

WFMW: The Pantry Edition


One thing that worked wonders for organizing my pantry better was to install a plastic shoe organizer onto the inside door of our pantry. Now, I know this won't work in some pantries, but because ours has a regular door just like any of the other doors in our house, it works wonderfully for us.

In most of the holders, there are things the kids can pick for a snack for after school and before bed. This eliminated a lot of discussions on what could or couldn't be for snack. In ones just slightly out of the reach of the kids (or some of them) are Mom & Dad snacks (like those Dark Chocolate Dove bar bites), as well as baking/cooking things that tend to get lost in our pantry -- like a packet of taco seasoning, for example. Then, in the very top rows (out of reach of the kids) are bottles of medicine (all that have child-proof caps anyway, though) like the children's Tylenol, etc.

Putting this up gave us SO much extra room in the pantry, and it gave the kids more ownership over picking a snack, I think. I am actually planning to perhaps put one of these on the back of the boys' bedroom door for all those little things that get misplaced -- like Gameboys!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

Jennefer said...

That is a great idea! We actually have a shoe organizer hanging around with no place to belong. It wouldn't fit in our kitchen, but maybe our next house will have a place.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I love the shoe bags! I have one in my office/craft room.

The Hooper Family said...

I have the same thing and I love it too! I also use one on my girls' room closet door - great for shoes and all those little girly acessories.

Rosemary said...

I'm SO impressed with your organization. It sounds like a great idea. BTW, I've tagged you for the 8things about me meme, if you haven't done it and feel like it :)

LAA and Family said...

I put a canvas shoe organizer (that hangs with hangers) in our coat closet since the bathroom it is next to does not have any kind of cabinet. I stash extra toilet paper, a supply of diapers, and then also some vacuum cleaner attachments, mittens and hats.. I'll have to see if one will fit in our pantry that goes on the door, ours needs a bit of organization!

Aimee said...

That is a great idea! My pantry door is not wide enough to support a regular shoe holder, but maybe I can figure out a way to rig something up since I am totally loving the idea!